Sunday, July 5, 2009

Race Day!

Okay, so I did it! All 10 Km and no walking at all. I kind of can't believe it. I kept waking up last night thinking to myself, "What are you doing? You hate running! Why would you EVER run for like an hour?"

So if you haven't seen my facebook update, I finished all 6.2 miles in 55 minutes and roughly 30 seconds. That averages out to just a hair under 9 minute miles. For not really training at all I am pretty pleased with the result.

Just to entertain ya'll I'm gonna give you a quick timeline of the day/race.

6:00 - Wake up, stumble around in the dark.
6:15 - Pound a banana and Nature Valley bar.
6:20 - Say goodbye to one of the staff members returning to states =(
6:30 - Get in the car with a bunch of Mexicans and listen to my iPod. I chose chill music. I wanted to have relaxed muscles haha. The hardcore music was post race.
7:15 - Arrive at Parque Fundidora.
7:20 - See the start line packed with racers. I got wicked nervous at this point.
7:25 - Acted like I was stretching, but knew that it wasn't doing me any good since I didn't warm up at all.
7:30 - Start! (This was super anti-climactic. It's like this big count down, but unless you're in front you kind of just stroll up to the start line.
7:30 - 7:40 - Still had the nervous pee feeling, and my body was practically screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"
7:55 - My body is finally warmed up. I lengthened my stride and took off. It felt awesome to be passing people all over the place.
8:15 - I'm like 3 Km away from the finish. My body started to hurt.
8:25 - Went numb when I started "sprinting" to the finish. Pretty sure I forgot to breathe for about 100m. I just about puked.
8:30 - Get handed my wooden medal and a bunch of food/drink items.
8:30 - 9 - Act like I'm stretching but I'm really just eating that food that I just got.
9-10:30 Leave, eat a ton of delicious tacos, shower, and head to church.
11:00-12:00 - Church. I don't have a clue what was said in the sermon. I do remember singing Te doy gloria (I give you glory). It's such a great worship song.
12:00-3ish - Sleep, and I mean hardcore sleep. I drooled.
3:00-4:00 - Pool recovery time =)
4:00-5:00 - Sleep
5:00-Now - Skype and blog time...

So to sum up the race itself, I started super slow, ran fast, crashed, and finished hard =) Thanks for all your encouraging comments! I want my bike back. Hasta Luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment