Friday, June 12, 2009

Daniel

So I’m sitting in the main room on the campus which we call LDM (which stands for Lugar de Misericordia, or place of mercy) and we are in the middle of an ever so wonderful Mexican brownout right now. Thankfully I have some battery power and some free time so I can write about my friend Daniel from Rio 3, which is a terribly impoverished area where people make houses and their $2 a day living out of the garbage they are surrounded with. The other day I was serving at Rio 3, and at a point I went outside to join some group members in a game of soccer against the locals. After the game I began talking with one of the older boys named Daniel. Daniel is 18 years old, has 7 siblings (I met like 5 of them that day haha) and has just graduated high school. He currently isn’t doing anything with his life other than a little bit of work here and there and most likely caring for his family. What I thought would be a short conversation, blossomed into a two hour conversation about many things. At one point I invited Daniel to join us the following day in a work project that we would be doing at the Rio the next day. He was seemed excited, and then began asking me why on earth I, a white skinned gringo, was there serving. Many of the Mexicans in the area were clearly stunned at our presence. It was kind of cool. Nonetheless, this question lead me into a discussion about Back2Back, and eventually our Hope Program. When he heard about the Hope Program (which is a program that gives teens the opportunity to grow up in a family atmosphere and go to college) and that it may be an opportunity for him he got SO excited and asked me to talk to the directors of the Hope Program that night. (On a side note, the power just came back on. Cheers erupted.) Anyways, he said it was his dream to work with B2B, and I left feeling very uncertain about the whole thing as his chances weren’t good, and I didn’t want to get his hopes up, but my Spanish wasn’t good enough to downplay it like I needed to…nonetheless I returned the next day, and told Daniel that I didn’t get a chance to talk to the director, and he was okay with it. He joined us for the work day, and joyfully worked hard with us throughout the day. It was just such a blessing to be able to spend more time with him, and minister to him by spending time alongside him. At the end of the day I left feeling that God was 1) telling me “I told you not to worry about it” and 2) that my role was not yet done with Daniel. I don’t necessarily know where to go from here. I know how many things my flesh wants me to do, things that would emphasize my own power and abilities but I know that isn’t the right direction, so for now I am praying for Daniel each and every day claiming the God’s promises on his behalf, knowing that God has a plan for his life, and that Daniel will be more than provided for. I hope to see it unfold as I am here, but know that only time will tell. (The power just went back out, BOO) So as I head off for a bit of relaxation before tomorrow brings us new groups I invite you to come alongside me as I pray for Daniel and his family. God will work mightily through our prayers.


Daniel is the one in the middle =)

No comments:

Post a Comment